Ash by Malinda Lo.


.

Ash is a modern (Not really, considering it's set in what seems like a long time ago) retelling of Cinderella with a fairy twist! Aisling, otherwise known as Ash, loses her mother and father and is left to her evil stepmother and stepsisters. Her father left her stepmother in a lot of debt so to repay her father's debt she must become a serving girl to her stepmother. Ash meets a fairy named Sidhean who grants wishes for her...at a price! Then Ash meets the huntress and falls in love but she is bound to Sidhean.
This book was a bit strange for me, to begin with I really found it to be long winded yet intriguing and definitely worth a read. As I read on I found that the story really unfolded and became really interesting. I really enjoyed it because of the fairy twist and the love triangle (sorta). It is definitely worth a read, though maybe for the younger YA readers it wouldn't be so good because the language is quite formal and I found it to be a little bit confusing at times.
I rate this book a 4.5/5, definitely a great read. The story was great and a good twist in the Cinderella story. It wasn't that predictable like I feared it would be but I would have prefered a little bit more fairy parts. It was quite a short read and it took me about 3/4 days to finish. I felt like I couldn't put it down! Really worth a read.
4.5/5

Your Reply