Need- Carrie Jones


.

Need by Carrie Jones.

Zara is the new girl, she's just moved to Maine from Charleston and she isn't liking it. It's cold and snowy and she is living with her grandmother. Little does she know (though she soon finds out) she has a stalker and not just any human stalker, a supernatural stalker. He keeps following her and leaving a trail of gold dust. After a lot of research, Zara and  new friends Issie and Devyn find out **Semi Spoiler** that the "psyhco stalker" is really a pixie. In this book of pixies and weres will Zara ever be free? Will she give the man what he wants?
*Synopsis from the back of the book*
Pain shoots through my head. Fireworks, explosions. All inside my brain. The white world goes dark and I know what's about to happen.
Zara White suspects a freaky guy is stalking her. She memorises phobias and chants them when she is nervous. Ok, so she hasn't exactly been herself since her stepfather died. But moving to a freezing Maine town to stay with her grandmother is supposed to be the perfect fix- so her mum says. Except this plan of sending Zara away to stay sane? Yeah, not working. Turns out the stalker is not a figment of Zara's imagination. He's still following her and leaving behind an eerie trail of gold dust. There's something not right- not human- in this sleepy Maine town and all signs are pointing at Zara.


So, what can I say? Sounds pretty impressive right? WRONG! To begin with, the first three chapters or so, I found this book so boring. I put it down and only picked it up again because my sister forced me to! She recommended it to me so I had to read it as she doesn't really like reading so to get a recommendation from her and for her to give it 10/10 I knew I had to read it. Although it was boring and pointless, to me, it did start to pick up. The first couple of chapters are about her at her new school, making friends and enemies and such forth. I really started to get into it when the supernatural stuff started to be discovered by the characters. I thought that it did take a while to get there but when it did I thought it was fantastic and really couldn't put it down! It kept me hooked and wanting to read more and a couple times, and I know this is really sad, but a couple times I couldn't sleep at night because I wanted to know what happened next in the book. So my advice is if you're like me and find the beginning boring, please stick with it because it's a great story and a great adventure with good twists. Even though I predicted most of the twists and did find they were a bit predictable!
I have very mixed feelings on this book, but would recommend it to anyone who likes YA and supernatural stuff especially if you like faeries and pixies and whatnot. I give this book 3 out of 5 stars, simply because the beginning was too boring and long and the plot was a bit predictable. It was stilll enjoyable and a good read but not anything super special.
I have book two in the series, Captivate and will be reading that soon. I will continue with the series because I am very curious to see what happens. I also felt that the writing lacked description and left a lot up to the imagination which in some cases is quite good.
Overall an enjoyable read. Not bad. 3/5 

Your Reply